Friday, May 4, 2007

Martin Parr Interview


26th July 2006, taken with Nikon D70, Nikkor 18-70mm

I first encountered Martin Parr through a comment Guy made on this picture, and I've tried self-conciously to incorporate part of his aesthetic to my work with varying degrees of success.

I'd like to point you in the direction of this superb interview/discussion with Martin Parr, which I happened across at Jeorg Colberg's Conscientious (who had in turn found it at What's the Jackanory, who also have a couple of good pieces about the show referred to in the discussion). The file is 44mb, and runs for about 1hr 16minutes - it's well worth listening to the entire thing, as Parr is a very engaging speaker indeed, and seems to have a good handle on the issues around citizen journalism and the democratisation of photography in general.

The photo above, by the way, was taken as part of last year's DVD Forums photograph a day project. My work from it is in the set here. It all looks a bit lightweight, compared to the 365 people, but it felt like a tough month at the time :) I can't help thinking that this July is not far away at all....


No comments: