Monday, June 25, 2007

Us Against the World

Us Against the World
Us Against the World, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

I thought I'd start today's page of context with this shot, chronologically after the others, but my favourite of today's uploads. It was taken using Adox CHS50, courtesy of Steve and developed in R09 (Rodinal old formula). It's wonderful stuff, very textural developed this way, and I've a powerful hankering to shoot more, and perhaps develop some in ID11.

The picture is of the beach at Aberystwyth, and shows my nippers messing about in the sea. What better way to while away the afternoon?

There's a huge compositional nod here to the work of an artist called Pippa Darbyshire, whose paintings of the Somme estuary I saw a few years ago. She composes with layers of colour and tone in these pictures, forming horizontal layers that ascend the canvas. I'm conscious quite often of attempting something similar with certain scenes. My being based in Manchester and its suburbs also means that the novelty of having a visible horizon for once has something to do with the desire to make it a major compositional element too.

The feeling I wanted to evoke was something of the awe I feel at times of parental responsibility - there are times when the world seems to be an awfully large place, and my children terribly small.

Pony Express
Pony Express, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

The second, and last film shot for today is this one, of my daughter at the amusements in New Quay (Cei Newydd).
Sometimes, you might almost think she doesn't like having her picture taken.

This shot is HP5+ developed in Ilfotec DD-X, a great combination, in my view. Looking at this now, it's evident that a colour film (or digital) would have been way better for this, but moments pass, and sometimes it's more important to get something than to wait for something perfect.


Groynes #1
Groynes #1, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

Groynes #2
Groynes #2, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

These two digital shots both show the beach at Aberaeron. I can't help feeling that there are better shots than these in the textures of the pebbles and metal here, and I shot variants on the same theme last year too, and I'm sure I'll still be looking for the perfect take on this many years hence.

Harbour
Harbour, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

Last, and possibly least is this view of the harbour at Aberaeron. I liked the strong verticals of the poles marking the harbour entrance, and the dramatic sky over the sea.

1 comment:

Guy said...

This is such a perfect shot John. I keep coming back to it again and again.