Thursday, July 12, 2007

In Praise of Happy Accidents

Cenarth
Cenarth, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

I've often thought of the whole experience of shooting film as being one comprised of a series of accidents. This can, of course, be tailored to your own preference; reduce the random factor by only using gear you know inside out, in conditions you've worked in frequently. Many people choose to go to the other extreme, even if only occasionally, shooting with "toy" cameras, or using processing you're not supposed to on a particular type of film.

One of the more pleasant random events to happen shooting with manually wound cameras is the phenomenon of the first and last shot. These won't usually line up exactly with the frames the camera is expecting, and on my FG and FE produce these pleasant square(ish) compositions. This particular one was taken in Cenarth, Ceredigion, and is another of my long exposure spree.

I like these on black and white, it must be said, and I'll probably subject you to more, if I get chance to shoot some again.

Cenarth
Cenarth, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

This is a far more conventional view of Cenarth (it is, after all, taken on a sensible, digital camera) shot from more or less the same location. My viewpoint for the first shot is over the river on the other bank, and slightly further upstream than this.

I think my son is examining the shallows for minnows here.

Aberporth
Aberporth, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.


Our first view of Aberporth here is digital, shot using the Tokina 12-24 f/4 to make as much as I could of the seaweed covered rocks stretching into the distance, and the rather wonderful clouds.



Stream
Stream, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.


This is my second view of Aberporth for today. It shows one of the many streams running down the beach to the sea, and I'd hoped to capture some of the sparkling clarity of the water in this shot.

I find myself alternately loving this, and then wishing I'd never uploaded it. It's probably best to allow you to make your own mind up on it.

No comments: